A Purpose Driven Troop
It's NEW for 2016!Boy Scouts may be 106 years old this year but it's still staying new and as relevant to boys in 2016 as it was in 1910. This year the Boy Scouts of America have updated the program once again proving that even in old age flexibility is possible!
Welcome to the "New" Boy Scouts! To coincide with the revised program the BSA is publishing a new Boy Scout Handbook. This will be the 13th edition to this invaluable scout resource.
In this new edition the BSA has stated it's goal of emphasizing five core content areas; character development, participatory citizenship, personal fitness, outdoor skills and awareness and leadership. Embedded in these goals is a clear emphasis on healthly eating and fitness, a greater degree of environmental stewardship, and most significantly an expanded emphasis on 'duty to God'.
Other key advancement changes that the BSA has announced (effective 1 January 2016) include:
- "Scout" will become a full rank, rather than just the joining requirments.
- Service will be required for all ranks.
- There will be a 30-day or 4-week physical fitness requirement in Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class.
- There will be new requirements on health & eating habits, outdoor ethics, weather safety, and Leave No Trace.
- Boys registered in a troop on or before Dec. 31, 2015, who are working on Tenderfoot through First Class ranks, may continue to use the old requirements through 2016, but they must convert to the new requirements upon attaining the First Class rank.
- Boys registered in a troop, team, crew, or ship on or before Dec. 31, 2015, who have completed the First Class rank may complete the rank they are currently working on with the old requirements through 2016, but then must convert to the new requirements for subsequent ranks.
- Any boy registering in a troop for the first time on or after Jan. 1, 2016, must use the new requirements.
Troop 29 is BSA GOLD Journey to Excellence Rated.
"The religion of a man is not the creed he professes but his life - what he acts upon, and knows of life, and his duty in it. A bad man who believes in a creed is no more religious than the good man who does not." - Baden-Powell quoting Carlyle
Search this site:
Congratulations!Congratulations to Alex Tam. Alex is Troop 29's latest Eagle Scouts! On behalf of Troop 29's scouts, scout leadership, adult scouters, and parents we would like to congratulate him on a job well done and for helping to set the standard for Troop 29 Eagles scouts. Well done!
Fostering a Community Connection
Troop 29 has begun their Scouting for Food Campaign. The campaign runs through March 14, 2016. All canned goods and non perishable items will be donated to Friendship House. Bill Perkins, Executive Director and Kim Eppehimer, Volunteer Coordinator, came and spoke to the boys, thanking them and explaining how this donation could help many.
The Scouting TrailThis is the trail that the Scout shall know,
Where knightly qualities thrive and grow.
The trail of HONOR, TRUTH and WORTH,
And the strength that spring, from the good brown earth.
The trail that Scouts, in their seeking blaze,
Through the toughest tangle, the deepest maze.
Till out of boyhood the Scout comes straight,
To manhood's splendid and high estate.
Boy Scouts News: